Bonhams announces acquisition of Bukowskis - The leading auction house in the Nordic region
London - Bonhams, the global auction house, has acquired Bukowskis, the leading auction house in the Nordic region.
– Bukowskis has a renowned heritage. Bonhams’ acquisition of such a celebrated auction house is an important part of our strategy to further the development of Bonhams into a digital leader and a truly global player with a balanced presence across the US, Europe and Asia. We are delighted to welcome Louise Arén and the entire Bukowskis team to the Bonhams family, says Bruno Vinciguerra, CEO of Bonhams.
The acquisition will enhance Bonhams’ European scale and increase digital capabilities to support further growth across the Bonhams network.
– Bukowskis has become an industry leader in digital transformation. With Bonhams' global reach, we can further build upon our position as the leading auction house in the Nordic region. An exciting journey has just begun, Louise Arén, CEO of Bukowskis.
Bonhams was acquired by the UK-based private equity firm, Epiris, in September 2018. Since then, there has been substantial investment at Bonhams in the areas of digital, marketing, and recruitment. To further its European presence, Bonhams opened a saleroom in Paris in Rue de la Paix in 2021.
Bonhams, founded in 1793, is one of the world's largest and most renowned auctioneers, offering fine art and antiques, motor cars and jewellery. The main salerooms are in London, New York, Los Angeles and Hong Kong, with auctions also held in Knightsbridge, Edinburgh, Paris, San Francisco and Sydney. With a worldwide network of offices and regional representatives in 22 countries, Bonhams offers advice and valuation services in 60 specialist areas. For a full list of forthcoming auctions, plus details of Bonhams specialist departments, please visit bonhams.com.
– The acquisition of Bukowskis is an important step in our vision for Bonhams to become the world’s local auction house. Bukowskis’ incredible history and digital accomplishments make it an ideal partner and member of the Bonhams family, says Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard, Chairman of Bonhams.
– We are very excited to welcome Bukowskis to Bonhams. The business has built an incredibly strong reputation in the Nordics, and we see tremendous opportunity for both it and Bonhams in this union: greater international reach for the former, and greater European scale and presence for the latter. We are looking forward to working with Louise and her team to develop Bukowskis further, says Owen Wilson, Partner at Epiris.
– Since 2018, we have been working to drive the transformation of Bonhams into a global, digitally enabled auction business through investment in people, technology and now M&A. The acquisition of Bukowskis is a significant further step in this transformation, says Alex Fortescue, Managing Partner at Epiris.